One of my readers was kind enough to nominate me for the Liebster Blog Award. Thank you very much Ena ( check out her blog at http://tryingtopray.wordpress.com/ ) for that nomination. You have been a wonderful encouragement to me when you read and comment on my posts. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the impact of our words in the world and your responses have helped me know that this crazy thing we call blogging can make a positive difference in people’s lives.
Based on what I’ve read, the Liebster award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 readers/followers. I think the goal is to raise the visibility of these bloggers. ‘Liebster’ in German means – dearest, sweetest, kindest, beloved….and all the nice words you can think of.
So here are the rules for this award:
1. Thank the blog that has given you the award.
2. State 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you.
4. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
5. Create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer
6. Go to their page and tell them.
Eleven random facts:
1. I was born in Cuba and my family left just as Castro took power.
2. I love all history,but especially Colonial American history.
3. I’m reading Hemingway and find him boring.
4. I actually like doing dishes.
5. I prefer the mountains to the ocean.
6. I don’t like flying – at all
7. I don’t like clutter so I am constantly picking up around the house. My wife accuses me of throwing things away that she was saving. Not true.
8. I’m the youngest of three siblings
9. I wanted to be an astronomer when I was in high school. College physics changed my mind.
10. I’ve been married for half my life. Now that’s random.
11. I used to take piano lessons when I was in elementary school. It didn’t stick. I couldn’t play the trumpet either.
The Eleven Questions that were asked of me:
1. Are you a cat, dog or other person?
I actually am not much of a pet person, even though we have owned both a dog and a cat. If I had to chose I would go with a dog.
2. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
That’s a toss up between cookies and cream or strawberry
3. Best childhood memory?
Helping my dad do projects around the house
4. What is your favorite place to sit back and ponder life?
I sit in my comfy chair in my home office. It’s my sanctuary
5. If you could go back in time and place where would you go and why?
I would go back to the first century AD and talk to the apostles.
6. What writers have inspired you?
Jeanne Guyon, C.S. Lewis, Ann Voskamp
7. If you couldn’t do what you are currently doing, what would you like to do or be?
A history teacher .
8. What tastes better with ketchup on it?
9. What is your favorite color?
10. Where is the best vacation spot?
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
11. Who fills your life with joy?
My wife and kids.
Now about choosing 11 other bloggers. I actually don’t follow that many blogs. A quick Goggle search showed me that this blog award has been around for a few years and the rules have morphed over the years from nominating 3-5 people to 11. So I guess I feel better about not having 11 blogs. But I did want to highlight a few that I have found fun or encouraging:
http://thebearwife.wordpress.com/ – this is actually one of my daughter’s blog and it’s fun to hear her passion as an historical interpreter and a gifted creative craft person.
http://www.willowfeller.com – this is a reader of my blog who has also been a great encourager to me and her blog has wonderful insight into this Christian life. Even though technically she has more than 200 followers, I just had to add her to my list.
http://www.jennifershopeblog.com/ – a young woman who is wise beyond her years.
Now for “eleven” questions, I choose five. You can add more if you like.
1. What writers/people have inspired you most?
2. What is your idea of a relaxing day?
3. If you could have an alternate career, what would it be?
4. What is your favourite season and why?
5. What is your greatest accomplishment?